Friday 21 October 2011

Little Snacking Cheddars

I have been thoroughly obsessed with the British BBC TV series called

Couldn't stop watching it, religiously addicted...
Re-watched the whole series on the iPlayer as well, which I know is rather sad... but hey... what else am I going to do whilst holding a sleeping baby?

Then... whilst browsing in WHSmiths, I went and bought myself 



Which is just as exciting... so many yummy things to make.

This is what I made:

Cheddars


They are scrummy yummy and equally as addictive as the TV series.

Luca was immensely pleased when I turned up for the school pick up, with a box full of these golden cheesy delights. He munched on seven of them, before the car journey was up... then another four whilst watching cartoons.

This is the recipe:


INGREDIENTS

200g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
chilli flakes to taste
150g extra mature cheddar cheese (or other strong hard cheese)
150g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 x whole medium free-range egg, plus one egg yolk
I recon you could also add a little semolina flour to the mixture, to give them a little crunch. Haven't tried this yet, but I think it could work.


METHOD

Mix the flour, salt, chilli and cheese in a food processor until it's well mixed.
Add the butter and blend until it is a sandy texture.
Add the eggs, which will bind the dough into a soft ball.
Put the dough on a floured surface and gently knead until it's all stuck together.
Bang/slam it on the surface a few times to get the air out.

  

Roll it into a long sausage (about 50cm long).

  

Cut the sausage into three, then wrap them tightly in greaseproof paper and stick them in the fridge for 30mins.

 
  

Heat the oven at 200c.


Cut the three sausages of dough into 1cm thick "coins".

 

Place these on some non stick baking treys and cook for 10-12mins until golden brown.

 

Let them cool down and harden before eating...

Ecco qua'...

Yummy

  

Cheesy

  

Delights  
 

This next book
THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF HOW TO BAKE
(probably very similar to the first book, but who cares... I love a shelf stacked with cookery books)
will be on my Xmas list...



No comments:

Post a Comment