Tuesday 4 October 2011

Electric Blue

Last crochet post I added, I used a yarn that I named
ELECTRIC BLUE
Now everywhere I look I am inspired by this colour.
I've clearly been attracted to this colour for a while, without realizing... judging by the amount of things around the house in this shade of blue.

 
 

So I've started to crochet a
WINTER BLANKET 
using this fabulous shade of neon.
I call it a winter blanket, as it'll probably be the middle of winter by the time it's ready for my enjoyment.
(I would like the blanket to be 10 granny squares wide by 15 granny squares long - 150 granny squares total - so the end product will hopefully follow later... much later)


Here is how I am making this particular batch of 
Granny Squares

1. To start you off, Chain Stitch 4, then Slip Stitch into the first chain, in order to create your central ring.

2. Then... Crochet 3 Chains to go up  a layer (this will form part of your first "Shell Stitch").
Crochet 2 Double Stitches, followed by 1 Chain.

3. Then again crochet 3 Double Stitches, followed by 1 Chain... repeat this pattern (instruction no. 3) another two times, in order to get the central blue "flower like" motif. 

4. To finish it off, Slip Stitch into the 3rd Chain.

You carry this pattern on, in another colour if you wish (I changed to cream), as you move round your Granny Square and up a layer each time (remember to move up a layer you Chain Stitch 3 - this counts as your first Double Crochet stitch).

Double Crochet 3 stitches, followed by 1 Chain Stitch.
Double Crochet 3 stitches, followed by 1 Chain Stitch.
Until you reach the corner...

For the Corner:

Double Crochet 3 stitches, followed by 1 Chain Stitch (this acts as your corner hole for the next layer), then in the same corner hole, stitch another 3 Double Crochet Stitches, once again followed by 1 Chain Stitch. 


To continue, repeat instruction no. 3 until. once again, you get to the next corner.

 

You carry this on, until you reach the end of the row, and you close the row off with a Slip Stitch into the top Chain of your first stitch (the 3 chains that acted as your first stitch).


Voila'

You can make your Granny Squares as big or as small as you like.
Here I've made each one 6 layers wide (including the central Blue layer).

No comments:

Post a Comment